Tuesday, October 21, 2014

I'm a Captain

I think bike tire choice says a lot about a person.  I came to this realization recently while riding  my local trail with newly mounted tires.  I have a few different tires I ride depending on various factors, but mostly ride one of two different types.  During race season I like the Specialized Fast Trak.  It's a light, low profile tire that rides smooth and quick. During the fall and winter I put on Captains, a heavier tire with big lugs and good traction.  It struck me that I am a lot like my tires. During race season I am light and race ready.  I move along the trail with ease.  There is little rolling resistance to get me going as I am motivated to ride and train. 
Fast Trak

Once fall hits I stop racing and become the Captain.  I am chunky and slow.  Great effort is required to get me rolling, especially from a stand still.  My movement on the trail is cumbersome.  I can be heard from a far, with audible effort at each climb or corner giving me away. But that is okay, because that is what the off season is for.  As the Caption I will lumber along through the winter, laying groundwork to become the race ready Fast Trak version of me eventually, when it is time.
The Captain

Fall Sumac



No comments:

Post a Comment