Thursday, January 1, 2015

For the Sake of Old Times

As refrains of Robert Burns' poem-turned-song Auld Lang Syne fade away, attention turns to the innate optimism of a new year. While anticipation of new goals and adventures is exciting, I can't help but look back on 2014 and recall experiences I had and the lessons I took away from them.

The year began with my dad's death in January. Not a great way to start things off, for sure. It set the tone for much sadness and grief, and the sadness is still there, just not as close to the surface. Through the sorrow I found myself with a new perspective on life, born from a weird mix of fog and clarity.  Part of this new perspective is the realization I don't want to spend time and energy doing things that aren't fulfilling. Of course, some tasks in life are necessary if not enjoyable. But given a choice, I've decided if something is not fulfilling I will move on.  There are too many options in life to stick with something that is not meaningful. This perspective is a gift from my dad and his gentle wisdom continues to guide me.

I need structure to be successful.  Funny how it can take a long time to recognize the obvious! Daily itineraries, goals, training plans, menus-without these things I find I'm not driven to accomplish much of anything. If I want to achieve goals, stay fit and be there for my family I need structure. I love to be spontaneous but too much of it and I have a hard time getting things accomplished. If I maintain discipline in training the rest of my life stays ordered, too.  I eat better, sleep better, feel better and become a better wife, mom, and person.

It's not all about me.  Sometimes it is easy to get too wrapped up in my own life.  I think this is common for athletes-pros especially who are sponsored to be successful competitors.  But I am not a pro.  I am but a mere age-grouper (an aged one at that). My competitions are basically my hobby, important for my lifestyle but not the be-all-end-all.  I hope proper perspective and structure will enable me to balance my life and shift some focus from myself to others.  With the right project maybe I will be able to tie together my takeaways of 2014 and bring about something new and exciting for 2015 and beyond.    

Should Old Acquaintance be forgot,
and never thought upon;
The flames of Love extinguished,
and fully past and gone:
Is thy sweet Heart now grown so cold,
that loving Breast of thine;
That thou canst never once reflect
On Old long syne.

Robert Burns


The sky is the limit for 2015.

Dad in Truckee, CA c. 2007
Happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. You may not remember (or have really known) that there is pretty convincing family history that you are related to Robert (Bobby) Burns. Your great-grandmother Burns used to launch into reciting his poetry at the drop of ... well, without any prompting at all, affecting just a trace of the brogue she learned from her father Gordon, which survived the many generations from when the Burns first came here before the Revolutionary War and soon settled in Southern Indiana. And partly explains how the daughter of an Irishman came to be called after a flower of Scotland. Old acquaintance is ne'er forgot.

    ReplyDelete